Meet Andrea

When I was 22 and finishing up a Biology degree at UBC in Vancouver, my heart failed out of the blue, probably due to an unknown virus. It all happened very fast – I was studying for exams, playing volleyball and working part-time one week and the next week I fainted, went into heart failure and was soon on life support in multiple organ failure.  Because I was dying, the heart team decided to implant a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) and a right-VAD to take over the function of both sides of my heart and buy me some time to a heart transplant. It was a tough adjustment as I had never been sick or had surgery before.

After 5 weeks in the hospital, I was able to live at home with the device.
After 3 months, my heart recovered, the VAD was removed and I was helped back to a normal life through cardiac rehab, the health care team and my family/friends. Now, 6 years later, I feel so lucky to say I have normal heart function, have not been readmitted to a hospital and live a full life.

The staff at the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre have supported me in staying healthy and productive. They also give me confidence to keep testing my own limits. I’ve been back to school to become a Registered Nurse, worked full-time for the past 3 years, traveled in Bangladesh, Turkey, Tunisia and Central and South America and recently got engaged :) 

Without the VAD, I would not be alive. I know that many of the life saving technologies, like the VAD, and research would not be possible without those that so generously support the cause. I think it’s amazing that Dale, Dr. Ross and Dr. Delgado are raising awareness through the test your limits campaign. Thank you guys and good luck!

Andrea










The Advanced Heart Failure Program at the PMCC is one of the world's leading programs dedicated to end-stage heart failure research. Funds raised in support of the Test Your Limits directly support the Advanced Heart Failure Program's research advancement, education and life-saving patient care.


5 comments:

  1. What an amazing story! Thanks Andrea for sharing it with us. My husband is awaiting a heart transplant. SA (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. I hope your husband gets his new heart soon.

      Andrea

      Delete
  2. Thanks Andrea. Your story give us some hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration. Romi (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to know more of these great stories. Thanks! Stephan (Montreal)

    ReplyDelete